February 05, 2006

Setsubun - Spring is coming soon!

According to the lunar calendar, "Setsubun" is the day before the first day of spring.
In this year it falls on February 3rd, the last Friday.

I went to a temple to have a bean throwing ceremony last Friday.
In Japan, bean throwing ceremonies are held in houses, temples, and shrines to drive out bad luck and bring in good fortune.

The priests in this temple scattered lots of roasted soybeans. It was like a shower!
It is said that these soybeans bring happiness when you eat them of the same number as your age. I really concentrated on picking up the beans as much as possible.
(I don't mean I'm old - I wanted to share them with my friends!)

This picture is my happy beans in this year.














It was fun not only to eat beans, but to join the ceremony with friends.
I want to try to throw beans next year!

No comments: